Hayward Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Each year nationwide approximately 50,000 motorcyclists are injured in accidents, and another 2,500 are killed. In the City of Hayward 2 people lost their lives and 37 were injured in motorcycle accidents in 2012. Countywide motorcycle crashes left 437 riders injured and 6 dead. The statistics tell a sad tale of how dangerous motorcycles are, particularly when other motorists are negligent. If you have been in a motorcycle accident it is in your best interests to work with a strong personal injury attorney. The lawyers at Nadrich & Cohen, LLP may be able to help.
Common Causes of Accidents and Injuries
When motorcyclists are involved in accidents with other motor vehicles they often suffer very serious injuries, including broken bones, paralysis, back and neck injuries, severe lacerations, burns, concussions, head injuries, and traumatic brain injury. To some extent the nature of the motorcycle, itself, is conducive to injury. When a collision occurs the motorcycle offers virtually no protection to the rider. Bikes are also relatively lightweight, and depend upon balance and forward momentum to remain upright. Yet these factors alone only account for the potential for injury. The following are some of the more common causes of accidents:
- Excessive speed. Speed limits are imposed on drivers for a reason: there is a recognition that conditions on certain streets and roads call for different speeds than others. When a motorist drives faster than is safe he places all other motorists at risk, but particularly the motorcyclist for the reasons mentioned above.
- Change lanes into the path of the motorcycle. It should be self-evident that a car cannot occupy a space taken up by a motorcycle, but motorists often change lanes without looking to see whether a motorcycle is present.
- Turns into the path of the motorcycle. A very common cause of motorcycle accidents is when a motorist turns in front of a bike that has the right-of-way. As many as 49% of all motorcycle accidents occur in intersections.
- Road hazards. A pothole that might simply be an annoyance to the driver of a car can prove very dangerous to a motorcyclist. Debris in the roadway, potholes, and rough surfaces can all contribute to accidents.
- Driving under the influence. A motorist who is impaired is a danger to everyone else on the road. Drunk driving is a common cause of motorcycle crashes.
- Distracted driving. Motorists often take their attention from the road before them to text or call on their cell phones, eat, drink, engage in conversations with other passengers or the radio, and apply make-up. Just one moment of inattention can mean disaster.
What a Personal Injury Attorney Can Do for You
Motorcycle injury accidents are becoming increasingly common. Despite attempts to educate the public on safety measures such as helmets and reflective clothing, statistics show that in a ten-year period between the mid-‘90s and 2005 the number of motorcycle accidents leading to injury doubled nationwide.
Personal injury claims are often complex and difficult to win. Much of the reason for this is that insurance companies do not want to settle unless they have to. They make money by not settling cases. For this reason if you have been injured in a motorcycle you may find it to your advantage to hire an attorney who has a successful track record helping clients much like yourself. Call Nadrich & Cohen today to arrange an initial consultation.
To get to our office from the south, take the I-880 S/Nimitz Fwy South toward San Jose/San Mateo Bridge. Use the Winton Avenue exit, Exit 28, keeping to the right until you merge onto W. Winton Ave. Take the first left turn onto Southland Dr. You will pass La Playa Drive. Our office is located just before Southland Mall. The City of Hayward does not manage any public transportation, but you might try AC Transit’s Bus Services for local city streets.
Nadrich & Cohen, LLP
24301 Southland Drive
Hayward, CA 94545